Sunday, May 15, 2005

Survivors

The only long term plants I have are those that thrive on neglect. The oldest plant in my home is an Aralia. It was one of three plants I bought for a dollar more than 15 years ago, but it is the only survivor. It came with me when I moved from Florida and has lived in 8 different towns and cities in two states.

I usually call it my "rare Ming Aralia". I do that because (1) it was sold as a Ming, but doesn't match the pictures of any Ming Aralia I've ever seen, (2) it managed to survive under my care, and (3) everybody that sees it asks why I'm growing a carrot. In reply, I stick my nose in the air and say frostily, "THAT is my rare Ming Aralia."

That may be the key to its success. I have convinced it that it is special, a rare and beautiful thing, but allowed it to draw upon its own strengths to grow and thrive.

That might be a good way to treat your friends, family, and co-workers.

No comments: