Thursday, January 05, 2006

The wheels go round and round

The wheels on my car feel loose. I don't suppose that's possible, but while I was wondering if they might fall off, I started thinking how convenient a disposable car would be. Instead of taking my car to the garage, I could just put it out on the curb and order a new one with tight wheels.

Then I starting thinking about the first car I ever owned. It was a '67 AMC Rebel, two toned brown, called Jesse James (because it took all my money). A big solid, sensible car selected by my father for a beginning driver, it could seat 6 adults comfortably. I never asked Dad if he knew that when you pulled the front seat all the way forward and lowered the back, it converted to a bed big enough to sleep 3 adults comfortably. Although I never confirmed it personally, some of my friends told me you could sleep 3 skinny adults in the trunk, too.

There were two bumper stickers on the rear. The one on the left, courtesy of a boy friend, said "Make wine, not war". My little brother and his friend put "Milk drinkers make better lovers" on the right side. They thought it was funny.

The Rebel was a good ol' car. It took me to a lot of places I hadn't been before, and a couple of places nobody had ever been. Thanks, Dad. You made a good choice. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

No comments: