Saturday, December 29, 2007

A National Shortage

Christmas is over for 2007, and New Years for 2008 is just a few days away. I just mention that as a way to introduce today's topic: The Shortage of Peppermint.

I eat Peppermint Ice Cream in December. It's a treat I look forward to every year, but this year I couldn't find any. I thought it was just me, but a co-worker told me her sister had told her that there actually was a city wide shortage of Peppermint Ice Cream. (She also said the Peppemint Blizzard at Dairy Queen is a more than adequate substitute.)

And there's a shortage of peppermint candy cane. You can get chocolate flavored, jelly bean flavored, strawberry flavored, even watermelon flavor, but the only peppermint flavored canes I've found have been made by manufacturers that I've never heard of, and they don't always taste like true candy canes. I'm not that desparate yet.

I can't find Candy Cane Lifesavers either. Now, that's not the same thing as Lifesaver Candy Canes, nor is it the same as peppermint Lifesavers. I'm talking about candy cane-flavored Lifesavers. I found a company on-line that sold Candy Cane Lifesavers, but they were out of stock.

I'll keep looking, but if I haven't found them by New Year's I'll give up and console myself with chocolate Santa's.

No comments: