Sunday, July 13, 2008

Like a plastic sieve

I have a memory like a plastic sieve. One with big holes.

I had something interesting to tell you, but I can't remember what it was. Since I can't think of anything interesting to say, I'll go for educational.

Have you ever noticed that Queen Elizabeth Tudor (from the 1550's) is often portrayed with a sieve in her hand? (Elizabeth Images ) That's because she's known as 'The Virgin Queen" and that's because she never married. She took her job as queen quite seriously and wanted to do it herself.

And speaking of sieves, I've always wanted to try ore prospecting. I'd probably last a half day before I'd be crying to take my donkey and go home. (I like flush toilets and ice in my drinks.) Anyhoo, as the saying goes, I've been thinking of visiting the Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas and prospect for diamonds. You can actually prospect for diamonds (for $6.50) and keep any you find. I think they call the sieve a screen but it serves the same purpose.


You can take pets into the park, but I'm not sure that includes donkeys. Do you know the difference between a burro and a donkey? Well, I do. (I just Googled it). A burro is a small donkey and often used as a pack animal because it's especially sure footed. So maybe I could get a burro in the park and look like a real prospector. It will probably be easier to manage the burro than grow a grizzled old beard.

No comments: