Sunday, October 12, 2008

Hettie and Me

Friday was my birthday. I'm a year older than I was a week ago.

For my birthday, I bought myself the complete collection of the Hettie Wainthrop mysteries on DVD. Normally I get my movies at the used book store for about a $1, but I splurged on Hettie's shows and I don't regret it one bit.

For those of you not familiar with Hettie Wainthtrop Investigates, it's a British mystery drama starring a past-middle age woman who decided on her 60th birthday that she wasn't old enough to be put out to pasture and decided to become a private investigator. She works with her husband and a young apprentice.

I love mysteries. I can relate to an old lady who likes to boss everybody around and has a young sidekick who admires and respects her. I get a glimpse into the lives of families on the other side of the world, that are so familiar to us yet still different, even strange.

The only problem with watching so much British TV is that the little voices inside my head are beginning to speak with British accents. It's so pretentious.

No comments: