Sunday, November 08, 2009

A trillion dollars is a lot of money.

I read the House passed the Health Reform bill yesterday and it's headed for the Senate. I haven't read the bill. I doubt if more than 2 or 3 Representatives read all 2000 pages of it.

I'm not opposed to health reform and since I haven't read it maybe I shouldn't express my opinion of it. But based on other bills passed by Congress, I'm going to hazard a guess that it's a trillion dollar boondoggle, chock full of paragraphs here and there that have little to do with health care but a lot to do with getting some good old boys some good ol' government handouts for their constituents. Whether they need them or not.

And to further prove what an old cynic I am, I'd bet that the bill (1) might improve healthcare for some of the nation's poor, (2) would save or make money for the rich and/or decrease their taxes (which is the same thing), and (3) will be paid for by the middle class who will have higher insurance premiums with no improvement in care.

No comments: