Saturday, August 21, 2010

Let's chat

I'll go first.

The watermelon I bought last week for $1.99 wasn't very good.  It was OK, but I've had better.  On the other hand, the canteloupe was better than I thought it would be. 

I finished my Excel Macro course and only have one week to go with the Access 2007 one.  Then I'm going to start an Access Developers course - it's probably over my head, but I won't know if I don't try. 

I got a jar of couscous the other day.  I've never fixed couscous before so I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to do with it.  I could only find one recipe using couscous in my cookbooks so I guess I'll have to Google it or buy a Mediterranean cookbook.  I like trying new foods.

Speaking of Mediterranean cusine - I found a new summer salad like I like a lot and it's easy to prepare.  You don't have to measure anything - just do it to taste.  If you like more tomato, add more tomato. Peel your cucumber or not, as you prefer.  
Cucumber Tomato Salad for One
Ingredients

Cucumber (about 1/2 cup)
Tomato (about 1/4 cup)
Peppers (about 2 Tablespoons) - Green, red, yellow, and/or Orange - This is an optional ingredient
Celery (about 2 Tablespoons) - another optional ingredient
Olive Oil
Vinegar
Pepper

Directions
Mix a capful of vinegar and about a half capful of olive oil together in a small bowl that has a lid.
Chop up the vegetables in bite-size pieces (not too fine, not too big) and add them to the vinegar and oil.  Add a little pepper to taste.  Toss everything lightly to coat the vegetables.  You can serve it immediately but it's better if you put it in the refrigerator for a while or overnight.  Shake or stir it a little everytime you open the refrigerator door to redistribute the dressing.
 I usually use canned petite diced tomatoes and squeeze the juice out a little before I put them in with the cucumber.  The peppers and celery add a little extra color and crunch if you have some, but they aren't necessary.

There's a similar recipe at Mediterrasian.com; it's called Greek Salad.

No comments: