Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Fall Season

Fall arrived in Indiana unnoticed this past week.  The temperatures were still in the high 80's and even high 90's.  Not typical Indiana fall weather. 

Besides the cool weather, I think the fall television series was late in arriving.  It started last Saturday with The Apprentice.  No celebrities this season, just real life want-a-bes.  I'm never sure what the contestents on The Apprentice want to be when they grow up, but a lot of them have a long way to reach maturity.  Not age wise, but in wisdom, and manners, and interacting with other people.  If you like verbal brawling, this should be a good season.  And I won't be surprised if there are fisticuffs before too many episodes have passed.

Monday I watched Chuck.  A good solid show, nothing too exciting, but you could watch it with your grandma and not be embarrassed.  On the other end of that spectrum was 2 1/s Men, it was just raunchy.  Not even funny.  Just raunchy.

Dancing with The Stars (DWTS) was entertaining in spots, not so much in others.

Mike & Molly was just one wise crack after another with just enough dialogue to establish an offensive plot that nobody can love a fat girl except a even fatter guy.  And it wasn't just fat people they offended.   As a co-worker said, "They managed to insult everybody."  She has a bet with her boyfriend that it will last 5 more episodes.  He gives it 3.  I watched 15 minutes before I switched it off, but I think it will last till the end of the season. 

15 minuties is longer than I watched Hawaii 5-0.  I kept waiting for the violence to end, but I couldn't wait that long so I switched to Castle, tjen fell asleep before it was over.  The same co-worker told me that the violence never did end in Hawaii but they liked the show.

If you're wondering how I can watch so many shows on one night it's because I haven't watched an entire TV show since they invented the remote control.

Tuesday is a really busy night for me.  I watched NCIS - a really good show with likable characters who know how to act, the end of DWTS, and The Biggest Loser (I know they're going to kill somebody one of these years).  And a few minutes of Glee - I wish they'd get teenagers to play the high school students.  Oh and I watched Detroit 187.  From the description I thought it was going to be a shoot-em-up, run of the mill cop show and didn't plan on watching it, but it was actually OK. Played a lot of music that I normally wouldn't like but it seemed to fit a show set in Detroit.  I read there were some procedural errors in the show which made it kind of stupid, but it's fiction.   (I don't like medical shows that aren't accurate and I suppose most police officers feel the same about police shows and there really is no excuse for glaring mistakes in today's media even if it is fictional.  Hire a good consultant or give the writers free access to Google. Oh, yes Google is already free to everybody.)

On Wednesday I watched Hell's Kitchen (can't stand that show, but I never miss catching a few minutes here & there.  They have the most disgusting cooks - they all seem slightly icky), Survivor (about 10 minutes worth), Criminal Minds, and The Defender (it was OK but I fell asleep before it was over.), and I watched some of Law and Order.

Thursday I watched the best comedy presently on TV, The Big Bang Theory.  It didn't let me down.  It has an adult theme but managed to do it so you could watch it with your grandmother and not be too embarrassed.  CSI: Las Vegas was interesting but I think they've done the ending before on another show like Law and Order or maybe Numbers, and I watched The Mentalist (I like that show but I fell asleep and didn't see the end of it.  Even if the show wasn't good I like looking at Simon Baker.)

Friday night used to be a great night to watch TV, now not so much.  The only show I watched was Blue Bloods and I fell asleep and didn't see the end of it.  Not sure I'll like this show even if Tom Selleck is in it occassionally.  It had some stupid minutes, probably more than Detroit.

Saturday was another night of Golden Comedy back in the past when the Golden Girls and other iconic shows were on.  Now it just mostly stinks with reruns I didn't want to watch during the week.  I used to watch PBS British shows on Saturday, but I don't like the line up they've had on for the last year or so.  I like As Time Goes By but I've seen it so many times that I know the dialogue almost as well as the actors and sometimes Masterpiece Theater is good but mostly not so much lately or they play the same shows over and over.  And over.  So the only thing I watched Saturday was New Tricks.  It started at 11 but I didn't go to sleep till it was over. 

I haven't seen any new shows on Sunday yet, but The Amazing Race 17 starts tonight - it's scheduled to start after 60 Minutes which starts after football which means I'll probably miss the beginning because football never ends on time.  (Do you know the difference between a football minutes and a basketball minute? About an hour.) And after that is Undercover Boss which last year was surprisingly entertaining.  Extreme Home Makeover is on but I'm getting tired of that.  Desperate Housewives is on also.  Last year is wasn't so good, but maybe this year will be better.  Wallander is on Masterpiece Theater and I've been wanting to watch one of his episodes to see if I like it or not.  I've never seen it yet so I guess PBS does occasionally show something new.  I hope that doesn't mean it's boring.

Thank goodness I'm too cheap to pay for cable.

No comments: