Friday, September 21, 2012

Everybody Sing!

I have never watched the TV show the X Factor, but for some reason this morning I started watching Hulu videos of the auditions.  Maybe it was because I got to pick and choose the auditions I watched, but I was impressed.  The atmosphere and contestants seemed a lot more professional than some other talent shows on Fox and the contestants appeared confident in their talent without being obnoxious.

But I couldn't let well enough alone.  I must have looked at the best ones first, then found the duds and the what-were-they-thinkings.

Still ..... I may even buy a TV so I can watch it weekly.

Check out these YouTube vids ranging from county to blues.  They all had the audience on their feet.

Tate Stevens - 37 year old family man with a good sense of humor.

Panda Ross - 42 year old with big personality to match her big voice.  Learning the origin of her name is worth watching the video

Willie Jones - cute as a bug, well-mannered, and a good singer.  Not the song I'd have chosen for a 17 year old, but I'm an old lady not a teenage boy.

Carly Rose Sonenclar - 13 years old, but more self-confident and composed than many adults. 

Jessica Espinoza - 22 years old, funny and talented.  Great attitude.

Diamond White - giggles like the 13 year old she is, but sings like a pop-star

Update 10/5/12:  I didn't buy a new TV so I didn't watch the show this week, but I caught the highlights online.  5 of these 6 contestants made it through the first round of "Bootcamp".  It seemed like Jessica Espinoza was a little nervous and she didn't go to the second round.  Which is a shame.

In round 2, Diamond White seemed to mature about 5 years since last week - I hope she doesn't get too cocky; Carly Rose's self-confidence came off as "attitude"; Willie Jones and Tate Stevens were paired together and there was some talk that Stevens blindsided Willie by picking a song that he knew and Willie didn't - Willie forgot the lyrics but tried to keep on singing.  When asked by the judges why they picked the song, Willie told the truth without blaming Stevens.  He just seems like such a nice kid.  I didn't see Panda Ross sing in either round and I'm not sure if that's good or bad.   



No comments: