Saturday, February 10, 2007

The World Keeps Spinning

.... and still I don't fall off.

Did you ever wonder if you were unintentionally cruel to the people around you? Did you ever care that some careless remark hurt somebody's feelings?

I am a big woman. I passed pleasingly plumb about a half ton ago. I can't hide it. I don't try to. I didn't mean to get this big, but it happened.

The other day I was eating lunch with the women I work with and one of them started to talk about overweight people she knew who sat in chairs and broke them. One or two of the other women joined in with their own stories.

They didn't hurt my feelings. At least, not about my weight. I know I'm fat. Obese. Whatever. But it did hurt me that they didn't care if they hurt my feelings.

Then I started wondering. Did I say something inadvertently to hurt their feelings and they were just retaliating? I hope not. And I sincerely apologize if I did.

You can't take back hurtful words no matter how sorry you are afterwards. When I was in grade school, I purposely hurt my baby sister just because the other kids were teasing her. I don't know if she remembers that, but I do. I was supposed to be her protector and I let her down. It breaks my heart everytime I think about it.

No comments: