Saturday, September 01, 2007

Ahhhh, Root Beer


A couple of weeks ago I went to lunch at a local pizzaria with my co-workers. The place has decent pizza, but serves Coke products and I prefer Pepsi or iced tea. Their tea is atrocious.

I ordered a Root Beer. From the reaction of my co-workers, one might have thought I'd requested something exotic tropical concoction instead of a simple, old-fashioned Root Beer. "You ordered Root Beer!" "What? What did she order?" "A Root Beer!" "She ordered Root Beer?" "Who ordered a Root Beer?" "Martha did. Martha ordered a Root Beer."

So I like Root Beer.

Sometimes I order iced tea and sometimes Pepsi. Occassionally a Dr. Pepper. If there's nothing else, I'll even drink a Coke without complaining.

And sometimes I order a Root Beer. If I had my druthers, I'd add a big scoop of vanilla ice cream to an icy mug of Root Beer. We used to call those a "Black Cow".

Do you remember Root Beer Barrel candy? Root beer flavored candy shaped like a barrel. Cute, eh? Did you ever try root beer flavored Fizzies? They turn ordinary water into a bubbly drink which vaguely taste like Root Beer.

I have a recipe somewhere for making barbecued ribs with Root Beer. It sounds good, but I haven't tried it yet.

I try lots of things. I'm old, but I'm not stuck in my ways.

Wanta make your own root beer? Get organic flavoring at Nature's Flavors.

No comments: