Thursday, September 27, 2007

Two-faced

Where to start? Where to start?

October is only a week away but the temperature is still flirting with 90. Still ... I finally saw a streak of fall color. As I turned into a subdivision near my home earlier this week, I was startled to see bright red leaves on one side of a maple. It was the first hint I'd seen of fall color and a half block further I could glimpse bright yellow over the tree tops.

It was hard to drive straight while craning my neck to verify that it was indeed a tree and not the top of a house. I know one rarely sees a bright yellow roof, but it could happen.

Today, there was even more color along the route home. Despite the droughts and the heat of this past summer, I think we may have a beautiful (but short) autumn.

Now to the bitchy part. Let me set this up for you. In my department we have about 15 people (including the manager) in one state and 7 in my state. We did have one manager and two team leads, but because the Dumas company doesn't have leads they only had the responsibility for those positions, not an official title or salary. This week the lead in the other state sent an email to the team & in the signature it said "His Name, Manager, Our Unit". Nobody had informed us that he was a manager now so we didn't know if he was our manager or what. Being old, I sent an email to the guy that we knew as our manager & asked if he was still the manager or if the lead was now the manager or what. His reply was very curt and rather rude declaring that we were all one team, but it didn't say if that lead was our manager or not so we still don't know.

I've worked in over a dozen companies for over 30 years and have never ever heard of a company that refused to tell the staff who their manager was. Oh, occasionally they might not have revealed the name until other parties had been notified (etc, etc, lie, lie), but once a person started using the title, they weren't embarrassed to admit it.

Now I have to look for another job. I hate Dumas companies.

No comments: