Sunday, January 13, 2008

When you stop learning, you might as well give up and be old.

I'm trying to learn more about Microsoft Access - again. It's not the easiest MS application to master so I'm reviewing several free on-line tutorials and some books off my own bookshelves to supplement several courses that I've already taken. I can put together a simple database with forms, queries, and reports, but there is so much I don't know. I seem to be pulling a few new tidbits of information from each tutorial and wondering why it's not all in one place.

Today I was reading an article by Andrew Comeau entitled "Where do I go from here?" I want to share the last section with you because it says the same thing I've said a hundred times - and I love people who agree with me.

A final piece of advice: Every day that you put off learning increases the chance that the knowledge won't be there when you need it. That time might come when you have to admit to not knowing something that you realize you should have taken the time to learn a year ago or when you don't meet the requirements for that great job you really want and you know you could have if you'd been more attentive. This is a lesson I've learned the hard way more than once."

2 comments:

Andrew Comeau said...

It's always so nice to be quoted ... :-) ...

Let me know if I can answer any questions about Access. I like hearing from people who have found the articles helpful.

Andrew Comeau
Drewslair.com

Mo said...

Thanks Mr. Comeau, I may take you up on that. M