Saturday, May 10, 2008

Fine Feathered Friend

This is a poor-me, I'm over-worked and under-appreciated weekend. It's mostly because I suffer from "The Little Red Hen Syndrome".

Just in case you had a deprived childhood and/or have never heard of the Little Red Hen, you can read a version of her story by clicking here or read a synopsis of my version below.

The Little Red Hen tried to get her lazy-assed friends to help her prepare the garden, plant the seeds, reap the harvest, and bake the bread, but they wouldn't. So she said, "Then I'll do it myself".

However, when it came time to eat the bread, they were right there. "We'll help you eat it", they all chorused, as if they were doing her a favor.

And the Little Red Hen said, "No, you won't, you lazy-assed, good-for-nothings. I'll do it myself". And she ate all the bread, and wouldn't let them have any.

The problem with The Little Red Hen Syndrome, is that if you have it, you never learn to say "Oh, no you don't."

For example, in my personal version, I would say, "Alright, you can have some and I'll eat the crust to make sure everybody gets some. And don't worry about the dishes, I'll do them."

I am such a chicken.

No comments: