Friday, May 16, 2008

Give it a rest, girl.

I want to complain about the people I work with. I know I just complained about them, but the past two weeks have been especially annoying. Everybody in our office is over 21 (at least 10 years older than 21) and have been working there for over 2 years. So why is it that nobody else can do anything, but me?

Yes, I'm still having a pity party.

You get over it. I'm tired of this crap and I want to complain about it. I can't do anything about it but complain.

I've told the supervisor that she should give the "new" employee more responsibility so he'd feel more like a member of the team. Honestly, I was thinking that maybe he would do more, maybe he'd have more ambition to do something besides just enough to get by, maybe if he felt like he was making a contribution he'd actually work more than an hour or two a day. [Yes, I tell my supervisor what to do sometimes - I used to be her supervisor.]

He has the fastest alt-tab response I've ever seen, but one can't help but notice that he's often surfing the web or checking his Yahoo email even though he was reprimanded for that soon after he started working there.

I doubt if he's been at work for 8 hours in one day more than two or three times in the past 2 years. He leaves at least 30 - 90 minutes early every day, he takes several long breaks during the day, and frequently his 1/2 hour lunch appear to take 1 - 2 hours, but maybe he just takes a break before and after lunch. You'd have to know where I work to know why it's weird that he takes long breaks. There's literally no place to go in the building but to the bathroom or the pop machine. And there's no place outside close enough to walk to.

Every time the supervisor goes to a conference or on vacation, he calls in sick or says he has to work from home because one of the kids is sick. He has a very sickly family and a bad back that's always giving him problems. Maybe it's true, but we don't believe it any more.

Our office keeps tracks of the number of times each employee enters the office using their badges. It's not unusual for him to badge in more than 10-12 times in a single day.

So what's got me wound up about it today? Aside from the fact that I have to do everything and after 2 years he's still considered too new to know how to do anything? And he half-asses everything he does?

First, I don't keep track of when he comes and goes, but I have to walk by his desk when I come in and go home and when I go to the printer or to the conference room or to the supervisor’s office. If I come in after 8 and he's not at his desk, I know it won't be time for him to go home before 5. If I go to the printer several times between 8 and 10 and he's not in yet, I know he shouldn't go home before 6:30 at the earliest. I can do math in my head.

So .... The supervisor and I left at the same time this afternoon and we stood in the parking lot talking. Within a few minutes of us leaving the office, he left work and went home - at least 60 minutes early, probably 2 hours early.

I abhor liars, cheats, sneaks, and thieves. Especially lazy-assed ones that get away with doing as little as possible, while I'm being buried in "our" work.

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better. Of course, it may be the impending weekend more than you, but I'm sure you helped.


No comments: