Sunday, March 22, 2009

Banana Orange Bread

I made banana nut bread for breakfast this morning. or perhaps I should say "brunch" since it just went in the oven and it's almost 9.

I wanted to make banana bread with orange juice since I had bananas I didn't want to eat and I had orange juice and I thought the combination sounded good. Since I was surfing the net when the idea struck me, I surfed over to Google and found a recipe on Cooking For Engineers.

I had all the ingredients mixed and was about ready to pour it into my pans when I realized I hadn't added the orange juice. I went back to the computer to find out how much juice I needed and found that the recipe didn't call for orange juice.

Strange. How could Banana Orange Bread not contain any orange?

Well, it wasn't a recipe for Banana Orange Bread, but Banana Nut Bread. Ooops! No problem. I'll just drink the orange juice while I eat the bread. That sounds like a solution an engineer would devise, doesn't it?


(Speaking of Ooops! In an earlier post, I said that I used 5 inch pans for bread in a bag but I used 7 inch pans. The 5 inch pans might be a little small for 2 loaves.)

Update: 50 minutes later -
This is some seriously good banana bread. The recipe says "Serves 10", but I think if you tried to serve this bread to 10 of your closest friends you'd have a serious fight break out.

This is what I did differently from the recipe: I had 3 bananas so I used all 3, I used pecans since I didn't have walnuts, I substitued 1/3 cup oil for 6 Tbsp melted butter and I added about a teaspoon of cinnamon. I used two small pans (7 1/2 inches long) and I added chocolate/caramel chips to one pan. The chocolate is very good, but not at all necessary. Don't overbake it! - the loaves bake a little more while cooling in the pan for 10 minutes and then while it cools (but if you can wait for it to cool, you're a better dieter than I am).

No comments: