Friday, March 13, 2009

Meet me in St. Louis

I don't like meetings. Most of those at the Dumass Company are mainly held to give managers, project managers, and egotists a place to talk. And talk. And talk. And talk.

I'm invited to too many meetings. I had 3 meetings and conference calls scheduled between 11 and 1 yesterday and again today. I don't know when "they" expect me to eat lunch. I don't suppose they care.

One of the analysts I work with doesn't have 3 meetings scheduled a month, much less 3 a day. He manages this by managing to remain as uninformed about our work as possible even though he's been with the company only one less month than I have.

Today I made everybody in my department go to my first meeting of the day at 11. I'm almost ashamed of myself. It was the first time I'd been to this workgroup and I wasn't quite sure what would be on the agenda. It was so boring. The first speaker, a new manager with Dumass, promised not to bore us with his resume but he lied. Twelve job descriptions later I concluded he has difficulty holding a job.

The second speaker probably wasn't really boring, but his voice was monotone. And he repeated himself often. His had a monotone voice and was a repeater, if you know what I mean. He liked to repeat his sentences in a monotone voice. Now try listening to a monotone speech being repeated for 20 minutes and see if you're still awake.

I lied - He was boring and I'm not at all ashamed I made my co-workers suffer through that with me.

The second meeting of the day was scheduled for 12:00 and was canceled at 12:15. Sigh. Big sigh. It wasn't actually canceled. It was moved to next week.

Oh, goodie. I get to do it all again next week.

Sigh, BIG, BIG sigh.

No comments: