Thursday, July 02, 2009

Which way did it go?

Do you remember those cartoons where the characters would repeat over and over Which way did he go? Which way did he go? while running back and forth and around and around? That's my life.

I have been so busy at work this past month that I'm missing everything. Just look:
  • I missed my westerns for three days in a row.
  • I missed paying the rent by the first day of the month.
  • I missed the first day of summer.
About noon yesterday, I suddenly realized it was the first day of July. A little later I thought to myself, " Hey! If it's July first, then summer has already started! When did that happen?"

I like to keep track of the comings and goings of the season. The first day of summer is my favorite day of the year because it's the longest day of the year. Every day after this, until the first day of winter in December, is going to be shorter than the day before. Precious seconds of daylight disappearing every day. It gives me seasonal depression just thinking about it.

If I were president, the longest day of the year would be a national holiday. It would be celebrated by picnics, and swimming, and evening baseball games. Churches could hold sunrise services to start the day. The official song would be "Here comes the sun".

We'll call it the Longest Day of the Year Holiday. (We'd call it Celebrate Summer Solstice but I know some used car lot would be advertising "Salebrate Summer Solstice". And the spokesperson would be somebody who spits when speaking the S sound.)

Don't get astronomical on me and start explaining how the longest day of the year is different depending on where you live. Some places it's before and somedays it's after the Summer Solstice. And some places it's both.

It's simple, we'll all just celebrate on the same day as me. Where ever I am on the longest day of the year, that's the day we celebrate. If I happen to be in San Francisco where legend claims there are 4 equally longest days, we'll just have to celebrate it for 4 days.

Make plans now to celebrate the Longest Day of the Year Holiday 2010 with me.

We've already missed 2009.

No comments: