Sunday, September 20, 2009

Let's talk

Let's talk about the weather for a minute. The other day, the weather forecaster said that our skies were sunny but there were clouds out west. Then he added, "We'll tell you when the rain gets here." Well, isn't that a little late? I have a device for telling when it's raining outside my door. It's called "My Hand" - when I stick it out the door and it gets wet, there's a good chance it's raining. It it stays dry, it's probably not raining.

Now let's talk about me a minute. I was doing business yesterday at a small, local establishment. The guy waiting on me was just filling in for the day. About halfway through the transaction, he stopped and said "You're not Ms. Wright, are you? I was told to be on the look out for Ms. Wright."

Man, nobody should give me an opening like that. I had so many one-liners running through my head that I could barely reply audibly "No, that's not me." Now, I'm assuming that he wasn't flirting with me because, among other reasons, I'm old enough to be his mother, probably his grandmother. He was so young I was afraid he'd wet himself if I answered something like, "Huh, they told me the same thing about Mr. Right. Are you him?" or "Yes, I'm Ms. Right, and I've been waiting for Mr. Right all my life. It must be our lucky day." How about, "Yes, I'm Ms. Right, but you look like Mr. Wrong." Or what I really wanted to say was, "Oh, Honey, that's so sweet of you, but I'm much too old for you."

No comments: