Sunday, June 20, 2010

ONE TIME

One time I was helping my father fix the brakes on my car.  My job was to read the instruction manual aloud while he did the work.  When he had finished he noticed extra parts lying on the ground. 

"What are these?" he asked incredulously.  "Why didn't you tell me about these?"

"I did!", I exclaimed.  "I told you several times!"  And I had.  I had tried shoving the manual under his nose and handing him the parts, but he had just ignored me and went on.

"Oh, well", he replied.  "Everything went back together so we didn't need them anyway."

He must have been right because the brakes never failed me.



One time I went camping with my parents and some assorted grandchildren.  I had learned to make stove top biscuits for the trip and made them for breakfast one morning with my father's assistance.  Everytime I turned my back he turned up the heat. 

"The heat's too low," he'd say as he cranked up the Coleman stove a notch or two. 

"No, it's not." I'd reply patiently gritting my teeth as I turned the heat down again.  "They have to cook for 12 to 15 minutes just like if they were in an oven". 

As Dad buttered and jellied his biscuit, he complained, "You burned the biscuits."

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

No comments: