Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Job in the Hand

Have you ever noticed how some jobs get in the way of living?
If you’ve ever been out of a job, you probably noticed that the lack of a regular paycheck can have the same effect.

A couple of months ago the Dumass Corporation unceremoniously moved me to another division without warning or explanation.  I found out by watching a companywide PowerPoint presentation.  Too many managers in that company and none could take the time to tell me face to face, or phone to phone, or even email to email.

I don't care if that's the way Dumass executives do business today, it's wrong to treat employees with less respect than one would treat disposable office supplies.  Morally, ethically, and economically wrong.

I'm normally very modest so when I say I was at least 75 - 80% responsible for the success of my former unit,  I hope you know that I'm still being modest.  I think the Dumasses think I’m going to work similarly hard for the new unit, but they’re WRONG!

I’m looking for another job, or to retire.  My head (and bank statement) tells me I’m too young to retire.  I have had two careers in my life.  Lots of jobs, but only two careers.  I think it’s time I started on my third, but I may have to stay with that soul-sucking job long enough to pay for training for the next one.

I just wish I knew what I was going to be when I grow up.

No comments: