Sunday, July 24, 2011

Keep smiling

I have been watching westerns again.  (Or still as you prefer.)

Right now I'm on a Laramie kick.  One of my all time favorites.  The first TV show I ever saw in color.  It was beautiful.

Even when I was a little girl I recognized Jess's charms, but I never noticed before that Slim has the most kissable looking lips.    (He was too old for me then and too young for me now.  Age is a funny thing.)

Slim and Jess almost make me wish I had lived back then.  When men were men and ladies were treated with respect - even when they were baking bread, scrubbing floors, toting water, bearing children without anesthetic, riding on buckboards without padded seats, milking cows, and fighting off the elements.  It was a hard life for women, but I think in the west (the west I know from TV and movies), women were more appreciated than they were in the east.  Their tenderness, their strengths - both were appreciated and valued.

I think I could do all the things women had to do back then and still be smiling at the end of the day especially if I had a good man at my side (said with a western accent).  But --- I couldn't do without a shower and a flush toilet.  I used to go camping a lot when I was younger so I've gone without hot showers and flush toilets for several days at a time.  But I didn't do it with a smile.

Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.
Happy trails to you, 'till we meet again.
by Dale Evans Rogers

4 comments:

Seiltänzerin said...

I really like that post. I'm only 23 but I think men often forget to show us the respect which would be necessary.
It's a shame that my blog is in German but I think you would like it.

Mo said...

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. I tried translating your blog into English using the translator in Word but it left a lot to be desired. I think it would be very interesting if I could read German, but English is my only language.

Ms. T said...

I wouldnt be smiling at the end of the day if I had to do all those things...I would love a simple life!

check out my blog if you dont mind...
http://poetrybydeliya.blogspot.com/
http://atriskteaching.blogspot.com

Mo said...

Hi, Ms. T - I've been a teacher most of my life - not in a formal classroom like you, but still teaching, trying to share what I have learned. Some of the people I've worked with don't like to share their knowledge. They seem to be afraid that teaching other people is going to give away too much of themselves. I’ve found that when I teach, I learn. Sometimes I learn more about the subject, sometimes I learn more about people, and sometimes I pick up tidbits of knowledge on seemingly useless, but intriguing subjects.

Due to being injured and ill, summer has only started for me. It’s hard to believe you’re getting ready for a new school year. I look forward to reading about it. What grade will you be teaching?
Martha