Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ocean Breezes

I started this blog to practice exercises when I was taking writing classes.  I have this scene in my head, from a dream, that I want to write about, but I can't get the words right.

She stood on the pier watching the sun set over the ocean, ignoring the man who leaned against the railing a few feet from her.  Tom watched her, ignoring the ocean.  The sadness in his eyes gave him a stern, almost hard look, but the sadness was for her, not himself.

"The ocean breeze is cool tonight," he said.

"I told you to bring a jacket," she replied, continuing to stare at the ocean.

"I wasn't thinking of myself.  I thought you might be cold."

"I'm fine.  I brought a jacket."

"I thought you might be warmer with my arms around you,"  he said gently, almost too quietly for her to hear.

Tom turned toward the ocean and listened to the waves murmuring on the beach below them. 

"The ocean breeze is cool tonight," she said without taking her eyes from the now dark horizon.

No comments: