Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I'm not sure what he meant by that

Last weekend I woke up with a short story in my head. It was a great story and in my sleep I had sketched out the whole thing from beginning to end, in order. I know it was a great story, but I can't remember anything else about it.

Not the plot. Not the characters. Not the beginning. I remember it was great and it was simple with a twist at the end. Not much to go on, is it?  But trust me, it was great.

This story reminded me of a comedian who told a story about dreaming the world's funniest joke. He woke up and wrote in on a notepad he kept next to his bed just for that purpose. He went back to sleep happy in knowing that he had the world's greatest joke to add to his routine. When he awoke the next morning and eagerly read what he had written in the middle of the night, he said, "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

1 comment:

Shannon said...

This reminded me of something a friend said to me and I laughed at her joke. I even woke up laughing the next day. By the end of the week, I was thinking, "that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard." I guess I'm just easily impressed.