Thursday, October 18, 2012

I'm Not Afraid

It was windy yesterday, and it stormed. 

The kind of storm with rolling thunder that tramples the clouds and marches through heaven like an army to the sea.  The kind of thunder that makes me want to cower under something solid with my hands over my ears, but I know there's no need to fear the thunder. 

When it storms, the wind outside my bedroom window doesn't whoosh or swish or even gust, it moans and groans and whines like a haunted cemetery side effect. It's a little unsettling when it does it in the dark of night, but I know it's just the wind so I'm not afraid.

When it rains the water rolls off the roof by my bedroom window.  It doesn't patter or drip, it bumps and rattles and gnaws like a hungry rodent searching for a way into the room through the walls that are supposed to protect me.  Waking up to that sound makes me pull the covers over my head, but I know it's only rain so I'm not afraid.

I know it's just the thunder, and the wind, and the rain so I'm not afraid.

Really, I'm not. 

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I love the rain and thunder! Its sleeping weather with my cozy bed upstairs and the constant rattling on the siding, makes me dream of sleeping!

Mo said...

Hi, Shannon,
I have a sister who likes to sleep to the sound of rain on a tin roof and surf pounding on a beach. Myself, I don't mind them the elements being a little noisy, but it's hard for me to sleep when they make sinister noises.