Sunday, October 21, 2012

Persimmon Pudding 2012

I made my annual pan of Persimmon Pudding today.  It wasn't my best effort, but it was still good.  I lost count of how much ingredients I was putting in the bowl when I was making the batter so had to guess when I was finished. Thankfully, Persimmon Pudding is one of the most forgiving desserts there is.

I have lots of recipes for Persimmon Pudding.  Some use wild persimmons and some cultivated Hachiya.  Most call for 2 cups of persimmon pulp, but some call for 2 cups of milk and others just 1 cup.  The amount of flour ranges from 1 to 2 1/2 cups.  Ditto for sugar.  All use baking soda, but some also add an equal amount of baking powder.  Some use 2 eggs and some 3 and some add the beaten egg whites separately.  Some recipes say to bake at 400 degrees while others say 350.  The baking time for the same size pan ranges from 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. 

They all come out tasting like Persimmon Pudding.

There's a moral to this story, but it's so obvious I'm going to let you figure it out yourselves.


No comments: