Sunday, April 09, 2006

Did you hear something?

I just burned another pot. I was reducing a sauce of pineapple juice, brown sugar, and butter and only turned away for a minute or two. When I checked on it, it was boiling away and the kitchen was filled with smoke and the smell of burnt sugar. I immediately removed the pan from the burner, turned off the heat, turned on a couple of exhaust fans, and opened the window.

Then the smoke alarm went off.

I've told you about this alarm before. It has been known to go crazy when I am boiling water, but let me almost burn the place down and it takes it's own sweet time sounding a warning.

Luckily, the only thing that burned was the sauce. The sweet potatoes and pineapple were waiting in another dish so I added a dash of brown sugar and a little butter and nuked them. They turned out pretty good so I don't think I'll bother making the sauce next time.

It will probably be safer.

No comments: