Saturday, April 29, 2006

One More Bathroom Story

I replaced the seat on my toilet last week. I'm sure that is one of the simplest plumbing jobs one can undertake next to jiggling the handle, but I'm still proud of myself. I seem to have an easy time taking things apart, but I can't put them back together again.

It took me much longer to find the right size seat than it did to take off the old one and put the new one on. I searched several stores before I found seats that would fit at Lowe's. At eye level (my eye level), was a nice array of seats, all in the wrong size and shape. The seat I needed was displayed on a shelf about 8 feet off the floor.

I stared at the shelves a while wondering if I could climb high enough to reach the seats without (1) killing myself or (2) toppling the shelves, but decided I couldn't. (I'm short, not stupid.) I looked up and down the aisle hoping to spy a sales assistant, but nobody was there so I glared at the shelves in an attempt to make one of the seats feel guilty enough to jump off into my waiting arms. Well, that didn't work.

Finally, I decided the only way to get what I needed was to search out a tall employee (or a short one with a ladder), waylay him or her, and drag 'em back to assist me. As I turned away, I noticed that right behind me was a floor display of the right size seats at a reasonable price.

I bought the seat and put it in the trunk of my car then decided to look for flower pots in their garden section. I had barely reached the planting accessories section when someone asked if I needed assistance finding anything.

I was in a good mood so I didn't throw a pot at his head.

No comments: