Friday, June 13, 2008

TV isn't what it used to be any more

Jim McKay, the sports announcer, died earlier this week. Even though I don't particularly like sports I recognized his name immediately. I didn't need to see a picture of him for Olympics and sports to start flashing on my mental billboard. I immediately thought, "Can they do the olympics without Jim McKay?"

Tim Russert, TV journalist, died today. I didn't recognize his name at all. The moment I saw his face I knew who he was, but even then nothing jogged a brain cell to go "Oh, of course. Now I remember." I've seen him many times on television; I've enjoyed his interviewing style on Meet the Press. Why can't I remember hearing his name?

I'm not into politics anymore than I'm in to sports, but what Jim McKay did to sports, Mr. Russert did to politics.

TV isn't what it used to be any more and never will be again.

No comments: