Thursday, November 27, 2008

Computer problems

I've been having a lot of problems with my computer at the Dumass company where I work. I'm using a spare computer till after Thanksgiving because dealing with the IT helpdesk is too stressful and I'll use any excuse to put it off.

I'm not sure what IT stands for. "Information Techology"? "IT's not my problem and I can't help you if you if I don't want to"?

We have two pages of "Help Desk" numbers to call for different things, but there's nothing that tells us who to call for what.

I'm not sure what "Help Desk" stands for. It's not "Call us if you need help". It might be "Call us for a headache".

I've lost a lot of respect for computer techs since I started working at the Dumass company.

Wednesday we had new software automatically installed on our computers.
  • Some of us got a notice that the computer would reboot in 30 minutes after the installation if we didn't reboot it ourselves.

  • Some of us probably got the same message but ignored it because we were so annoyed at having to work around the large popup box while the installation was in progress. But maybe not.

  • The clerk was in the middle of a 3 hour download when she got the message so she stopped the download and re-started the computer herself. Two minutes late the computer ignored her reboot and did it again.

  • One of the guys was 10 minutes into a demonstration by an external vendor when his computer rebooted itself and he missed a half hour of important training.

  • One of the girls said her computer restarted itself and she didn't know why till she talked to us.

  • My computer just went to a blank white screen and stayed that way for 5 - 10 minutes. I had no access to anything so I had no choice but to turn the computer off and re-start. The spare computer I'm using takes 40 - 60 minutes to start up and a half-hour after that our supervisor sent us home early.

One nice thing about the Dumass company - you get paid whether you work or not.

No comments: