Sunday, November 09, 2008

Did someone say "Fire"?

Did I tell you I work for the Dumass Company?

Somebody apparently complained about the lack of emergency preparedness in our office because last week, the receptionist sent out an evacuation map for fire drills and tornados.

As there is a exit door within one foot of our office door, I know where I'm going if there's a fire and if that exit is block we have windows on two sides of the office. I've been threatening to drop kick a computer out the window since I got there so it would be no problem "opening" a window to escape.

The problem lies with the tornado plan. It appears that we go through the wall just past the ladies' restroom or we go out the front door, I'm not sure which. Then we go down this hallway, turn left down that hallway, turn left down another hallway, turn right, cut through a wall, turn left, and that's where I get lost. If I get through the wall to the restroom, I think I'll just stay there. At least I know I'll have a place to sit.


We had a fire drill on Thursday - the first in 2 1/2 years, maybe the first ever. On Monday, we were told when the fire drill would be - day and hour. Some people were exempt from the fire drill. At least one man didn't know why he was on the exempt list but he wasn't stupid enough to ask questions.On Thursday, the receptionist sent out an email that said "This is a fire drill. Leave the building immediately." and some of the "fire marshalls" went around reminding people that there was a fire drill. As our office is next to the door we were the first ones out and could watch the other staff leaving. It was an orderly exit. Nobody had to yell, "Walk, Don't Run!"

Not that anybody walked. They ambled. They strolled. They took their own sweet time. I have never seen people leave a building so slowly.

As someone in the parking lot said to me, "That was the stupidest fire drill I ever saw."

No comments: