Sunday, December 27, 2009

Blue Mood, Blue Moon

This is the last week of the first decade of the 21st Century. The end of the newest "turn of the century". The 2oth century is fading into our memories of distant ages. A part of history never to be seen again.

At the end of the week, we'll have the second full moon in December. That's a blue moon. "Once in a blue moon" kind of things are likely to happen.

Maybe that's why I feel an impending sense of doom hanging over my head. (Or maybe it's just the weird combinations of snacks I had yesterday.)

Even my horror-scope for this week says "You keep looking at some gloomy picture of how things could all go wrong, ... " But it ends "Regardless of what happens, you have nothing to fear - but the worst is not going to happen. In fact, this week is due to be pleasing and liberating."

Pleasing. Liberating. That sounds promising. It sounds like I'm either going to burn my bra or quit my job. The 20th century isn't that far away after all.


BLUE MOON
Once upon a time before I took up smiling
I hated the moonlight
Shadows of the night that poets find beguiling
Seemed flat as the noonlight
With no one to stay up for I went to sleep at ten
Life was a bitter cup for the saddest of all men

Blue moon
You saw me standing alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

Blue moon
You know just what I was there for
You heard me saying a prayer for
Someone I really could care for
Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart, 1934


No comments: