Friday, December 11, 2009

Where are you?

I'm beginning to get in the Christmas spirit. I said spirit, not spirits. Though one may follow the other in either order.

Earlier this week I found the box of Christmas cards I bought in November and I found my address book. I even found a pen without too much difficulty. I began to hum Christmas carols as I sipped at a cup of hot cocoa stirred with a candy cane.

I flipped open the book and turned to the A's, then the B's, then the C's. I need to ask Santa for a new book. At least 90% of the addresses in that book were no longer valid. Relatives have moved. Loved ones have passed away. Friends aren't were they're supposed to be.

I pulled out a stack of saved cards from Christmases and birthdays past. I hoped the return addresses would give me a clue, but that was a false hope. Too many envelopes had different addresses for the same family and I couldn't tell who was were when.

If I were paranoid, I'd think people were trying to hide from me.

No comments: