Sunday, October 02, 2011

I'm sharing

I used to use that word "sharing" sarcastically because I had a manager who wanted us to "share" everything.  She couldn't say, "Tell us about that project."  It had to be "Would you share with us what you are doing with that project?"  Maybe I'm just selfish, but I hated "sharing" in that context.  I'd tell you what I was doing, how the project was going, where is was going, but I didn't want to "share".  I'd gladly "share" the project if you wanted to "share" some of the work.  Like I said, I'm not selfish. 

Anyway, I want to share a tip with you that I learned this week.  You may already know it, but I didn't and it saved me a bunch of money and embarrassment.

Friday I worked through my lunch so left work a half hour early at 5:30.  When I got to the parking lot my car wouldn't start.  The key wouldn't budge the ignition switch one iota of an inch. 

I tried jiggling the steering wheel but it wouldn't move either. 

I tried jiggling the gear shift, but it wouldn't budge.  I couldn't even depress the little button to make it jiggle.

I tried reading the manual that came with the car.  Nothing.

I tried called my service rep at the car dealer.  No answer.

I tried everything above again.  Still nothing.

I called AAA to get some help.  Two rings and I got an answer.  She promised to send a truck out right away but added, "Did you try stepping on the brake pedal, moving the steering wheel about a quarter of an inch, then trying the key?"

No, I hadn't done that.  I'm not co-ordinated enough to do all that and talk on the phone either.  So I laid the phone down, stepped on the brake, the steering wheel moved, the key turned the ignition, and the engine roared to life! 

All I had to do was step on the brake to make the car go.  I didn't know that.

So I'm sharing this tip with you just in case you are as uninformed as I.

And to the lady at AAA.  THANKS, again!  No, really, I can't thank you enough.

No comments: