Thursday, October 13, 2011

Incomprehensible

Are you familiar with the expression?  "What a maroon!"

A woman I work with uses it occasionally.  Bugs Bunny used it often.  I heard a guy use it on an old television show I watched last night.  It means a fool, a stupid person, a real dumbass.

Another woman we work said she had never heard that expression till I used it one day. 

When I said "as the crow flies" during a meeting about ZIP codes, the same woman laughed.  She thought I'd made it up.  Out of the 5 people in the conference room, only 2 of us knew it was a common expression.

I can understand how someone might not be familiar with "What a maroon" if they aren't familiar with Bugs Bunny cartoons (poor, deprived things), but "as the crow flies"? 

That idiom is still in common use.  Google the term.  Read any Internet article about a "Great Circle Distance Formula" and it will probably use that term.  Any site that provides a distance calculator probably tells you the miles are "as the crow flies".   There are several blogs with that title.  There are at least 15 books on Amazon.com and 5 songs on Youtube.com with "As the Crow Flies" in the title.  There are at least 2 plays by that name.  There's even a hair salon called "As the Crowe Flies" (the owner's name is Crowe).

I don't understand how college graduates have never heard the expression "as the crow flies." 

But then I don't understand heavy metal music either.

2 comments:

Renée said...

I've gotten the same reaction from using "as the crow flies" in a conversation. Another one that confuses people when i use it is "it's greek to me". Which i suppose is a little more forgivable haha.

Mo said...

Hi, Renee - I liked to use "It's greek to me" during my college math classes. Most of the students there knew I was trying to be funny. Not so sure about the instructors.