Saturday, December 24, 2011

Cooking for Christmas

I'm changing my Christmas menu hourly. 

I was going to have apple pie and pumpkin pie, but the recipe made two pumpkin pies so I decided to have applesauce instead of apple pie.  Yesterday, I changed the slaw to sauteed cabbage and crossed off the green beans, but I may reverse that later today.   I wanted mashed potatoes and oyster stuffing but they don't really go with the main course, Cranberry Pork Roast, so they're out now. 

I was going to have Raspberry Lemonade but I was too tired to carry it home from the store.

One of the reasons I decided to have applesauce instead of pie was because I bought 8 pounds of Fuji apples on sale this week.  I thought to myself when I saw them, "Fuji apples make good apple pie."  but when I Googled, several sites said they were too mushy for apple pie.  However, I just stirred the applesauce which has cooked twice as long as the recipe said and the apple slices are still holding their shape very well.  I had to use a potato masher to break them up.  It's a good thing I'm partial to chunky applesauce.  I still have half the apples left and since I was right I may make an Apple Slab Pie after all.  Because I'm partial to apple pie too.

Speaking of Googling, did you see Google today?  Push the right buttons and you'll see a light display while Jingle Bells play.

No comments: