Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Another Country Life Story

Have I told you this story about my grandfather before? A lot of younger people probably won't get it at all, but my geriatric patients have all thought it was hilarious.

My grandparents lived in rural Indiana. They had running water in the kitchen, but they didn't have an indoor bathroom until I was about 6. Like all of their neighbors, they had an outhouse. They were so far back in the country, that a trip to town and back was a day long trek over mostly unpaved roads. When possible, they would order supplies through the mail.

Once my grandfather wrote to Sears Roebuck asking about the price of toilet paper. He received a brief form letter telling him that information about toilet paper was on page 96 of the fall catalogue.

Grandpa wrote a polite reply, "If I had your catalogue, I wouldn't need the toilet paper."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This didn't really happen to my Grandfather - I stole this story - probably from someone who probably stole it from someone else. And so the world goes 'round.