Thursday, September 01, 2005

This and That

It has been a while since I had time to post anything so I will make a few short notes today for those who have mentioned the lack of reading material.

FiFi now has a higher rating in Scrabble than I do. I have always thought poodles were intelligent dogs, but that's ridiculous. I will write more about Julie this weekend when I have time to do her justice. She's worth waiting for.

Holly organized a pitch-in at work today. To say the least, that was some mighty fine eating. I'm still feeling good and smacking my lips.

Monday is Labor Day. This is our holiday. The laborers. The workers. The heart and soul of America. The supporters of the American way of life. So how do we spend "Labor" Day? We take the day off work, of course, and play.

Holly started college this week. Monday she was displaying her new school supplies which started a discussion among some of the staff of favorite binders. It reminded me of a little boy I knew in Florida. As a home health nurse, I visited his home weekly to see his grandmother. During the summer he developed a crush on me. I still have the seashell he shyly placed in my hand one day. When it was time to go back to school, he insisted on getting a blue binder "just like the nurse has". Sweetie, I hope you found a real love and have children of your own now.

Did you know that the first Sunday after Labor Day is National Grandparents Day and has been since 1978?

Enjoy the last 3-day weekend of summer. I'm sure you've earned it (and even if you haven't, your Grandma will swear you did.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martha,
Will you ever know how much I appreciate the smiles and giggles I experience from reading your blog? I love the new characters.

Anonymous said...

Not if you don't leave your name, I won't.