Sunday, September 11, 2005

Sharing

I have a cold. Needless to say, I am not a happy little camper. (I know. It was "needless to say" but I like to whine when I'm ill so everyone can suffer along with me.)

I know it's a cold and not seasonal allergies because I know where I got it. I am not happy with those people right now.

It's the weekend. If I'm going to catch a cold I prefer to do it on Monday so I don't waste a perfectly good weekend.

It's not a bad cold. I'm not stuck in bed building a mountain of used tissue. It's the kind where you think you feel OK so you start to do something and then you realize you don't feel that good so you have to go sit down and think about the people that gave you the cold in the first place.

I don't like taking cold medicines. They make me feel ickier than the cold so I'm just drinking - NO, not that kind of drinking, let me finish - I'm drinking plenty of fluids. Pineapple-orange juice, Pepsi, water, hot tea, soup with cayenne pepper, green chilis, and chili powder. (That'll put the sparkle back in your eyes.)

I tried taking zinc tablets once because I read where a clinical study had proven zinc would shorten the life span of the common cold by about half. They didn't work for me. The taste was so bad I decided I'd rather be sick so gave up after one dose. Well, actually, I couldn't even finish the first dose. (Other people have told me they aren't that bad and I should just suck it up and stop being a whiny baby.)

This time I'm trying zinc swabs that you stick up your nose. The amount of zinc is miniscule compared to the tablets, but they are supposed to work even better. I'll be the judge of that.

You'll know if they work. I'll stop whining ... about the cold.

No comments: