Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Worst Part of Winter

It snowed in the Midwest today. I drive slowly in the snow. I figure I'd rather get there late than not get there at all.

I realize that not everyone embraces this philosophy. Like the driver of the SUV that followed me into the subdivision between work and home this evening. He must have owned the road.

He was about 2 inches from my bumper through the curves and the round-about, but then he passed me. It was a no-passing zone, but he owned the road. He sped past me, spitting ice and snow, straddling the middle of the street, because he owned the road.

When I got to the stop light at the end of the street, guess who was there waiting for the light to change? Let's see how much time did he save? I'd estimate, oh, Zero minutes.

I don't turn at the light so I was in the lane to go straight. The SUV was beside me in the turn lane, but when the light switched to green, it didn't turn right. It went straight across the street because the driver owned the road. To make things more fun, the car coming from the other direction tried to turn left in front of us. Apparently, he owned the road, too.

No comments: