Saturday, April 04, 2009

My Fitness Couch

Unless you live in a box by yourself and 3 stuffed animals, you've probably heard of Wii and Wii Fit and maybe even the Wii game My Fitness Coach. Wii is a video system designed to keep you active while you're playing video games.

The object of Wii, as far as I can tell, is to spend $280 on a Wii, then $90 on a Wii Fit, $20 - $60 on as many other games as you care to buy, and $20 - $100 on accessories. The one thing that's sure to slim down is your wallet.

Back in the day, when I was younger and played video games till I developed a nerve disorder in my right thumb, the only video fitness accessory we needed was My Fitness Couch. And it came with the house.

We may have sat on a couch to do our stuff, but video gamers were not the same as couch potatoes. It wasn't enough to keep pressing the buttons till there was permanent damage to your upper extremities. You had to throw a lot of body language into each move to get to the top of the leader board. And jumping up and down on the couch when you got to the top, burned off a lot of calories even if you did do it from a sitting position.

And finding the controls on the other side of the coffee table after you sat down, definitely threw in a grueling stretching routine as you tried to reach it without lifting your butt off the cushion.

No comments: