Thursday, April 09, 2009

Where's Noah when you need him?

I scheduled days off work for Friday, Monday, and Tuesday to do some spring cleaning, shopping, and goofing off. Today - the first day - it's raining, of course. It almost always rains when I schedule a day off.

I don't have much luck with vacations. It's a running joke in my office. If I'm on vacation, my co-workers re-schedule family reunions at the park, picnics, garden weddings - anything that depends on sunshine.

The bad luck this time didn't start with today. When I came home from work on Wednesday I found that a leak in the water heater which led to a mini-flood in the living room, bathroom, and laundry room. I had to work late Wednesday so came home later than usual. If I'd been able to come home at an earlier time, there might not have been so much water to contend with and the maintenance and cleaning crews wouldn't have been called out after hours.

They were cheerful about it, as are most people earning overtime or "after hours rates". I don't get paid for working late, much less get extra for it.

Anyway, here I sit surrounded by misplaced boxes, furnitures, and books. Not misplaced just in the sense that I can't find anything, but because the cabinet that used to be here is now over there.

I'm trying to consider it a head start on the spring cleaning. But mostly it's just a head start on the back pain and muscle aches.

No comments: