Sunday, February 13, 2011

What's cooking?

I just made some Dilly Casserole Bread and set it in the oven to rise.  If you've never made bread before this is a good place to start because there's no kneading. 

 
I could have gone to the grocery store and bought a loaf of bread because this it's not snowing and it's not freezing.  But...  Except for the beautiful sunshine and sky-blue sky, it looks yucky outside.   There's still plenty of snow and ice but it's melting into puddles and rivers of slush.

 
While I'm talking about baking, here's a tip I read the other day.  (I can't believe I didn't think of it myself a long time ago, or at least read about it in a cook book.  I have lots of cookbooks.  You'd think one of them could have mentioned it.)

The problem:
Frequently, a pie recipe will recommend using strips of foil to cover the edge of the pie crust to keep it from becoming too brown.  I always found the foil strips a hassle and they rarely stayed in place.  I would end up crushing the fluted edges in vain attempts to secure the strips. 
 Now for the tip:
  1. Fold a 12-inch square of foil into quarters.
  2. Starting about 3 1/2 to 4 inches from the folded corner, cut a quarter circle out of the center
  3. Unfold and you should have a 7 - 8 inch hole in the middle of the foil square.  
  4. Center the foil over the pie, folding it loosely over the edges.  
  5. You may need to remove the foil the last 10 - 20 minutes of baking to brown the edges, but probably not.

Taste of Home recommends making a reusable pie shield by cutting a 7" circle out of a 12" disposable foil pizza pan.  You can also buy pie crust shields ready made if you make a lot of pies.

No comments: