Saturday, December 03, 2005

Whadda ya want be when you grow up?

I recently read an article about finding the perfect job. The article focused on helping the job seeker determine the ideal career to suit interests and personality. One of the tools they recommended was to think about your relationship with everyday things, such as asking yourself "When I enter a book store, which section do I head to first?"

The first section I go to in a book store is the bargain aisle. I'm not sure how that would translate to a career. I haven't seen many job listings for "cheapskate".

As I was sorting through the books in my home yesterday and today, it occurred to me that the types of books I actually buy might give me a better clue. Well, I found books on doll making, doll repair, dollhouse building, and teddy bear dressing. That would point to a job as "toy maker", but I'm not very talented and I spend as much time playing as working so I don't think I could make a living at it.

Then I came across books on software office applications. "Maybe I could be an administrative assistance?" I pondered. But, no, I can't taype accuratelly and I can't take orders.

I sorted through several dozen cookbooks. Chef? Baker? Nope, read them more than I use them.

Next came books on diet and fitness. Uh, no, don't even go there.

I found books on gardening, architecture, photography, logic, cartoons, fiber crafts, paper crafts, and wood crafts. There were books on statistics, calculus, and algebra; computer programming and computer repair; mystery books and crime detection; camping, fishing, hiking, and bird watching; house cleaning, decorating, repair, and organization; juggling, piano playing, blogging, and writing; sewing machines and power tools; starting a business, investing, and writing resumes; Christmas and Hanukkah.

You see where I’m going with this? I can’t make up my mind about anything.

Thank goodness, I only have a few more years till retirement. Then I’ll have time to read all those books and maybe I can decide what I want to be when I grow up.

No comments: