Friday, December 30, 2005

What are you doing New Year's Eve?

It's almost New Year ’s Eve. The end of 2005.

It's hard for me to believe that it has been five years since the eve of the "new millennium". The millennium that was suppose to end life as we know it when all computers crashed simultaneously as their internal clocks went from 1999 to 2000. For those of you too young to remember, January 1, 2000 came and went with barely a hiccup of inconvenience and there were a lot of people left with unnecessary stockpiles of gasoline, bicycles, and solar stills on January 2nd.

2005 was more eventful. It was a year of weird weather and disasters across the world. Our hearts overflowed with prayers for those thousands who were left without homes and those who lost loved ones.

Closer to home, it was when my co-workers and I learned when our jobs, as we know them, would be over. Certainly not an event on the proportions of hurricanes and earthquakes, but it’s ours. We are all hoping that everyone finds positions that result in "barely a hiccup of inconvenience" in our lives. Sometimes we remember that we aren’t the only ones affected; there are people from other companies that we have met from time to time that will be closing their units in February also and we add them to our prayers.

So on this last official work day of 2005, I want to wish everyone a Happy, Healthy, Prosperous, and Wonderful New Year. May 2006 be good to us all.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Martha,
Thanks, I think - I'm not really sure how to interpret "inquisitive", but I'll take it as a compliment as I'm sure that's how you meant it. I did read your blog & you're much, much worse about posting routinely than I am. Once a month? I'm sure you have more than that to say. You write well and I bet you tell a lot of stories about the park to your friends. You should share them with the rest of us. Congratulations on your pending engagement.