Sunday, October 14, 2007

I like dreamin'

I heard a song today that reminded me of the man of my dreams. Literally, the man of my dreams.

He's been haunting my bed for more years than I can remember, but I don't know who he is. Sometimes he just drops into my dreams and I demand, "Where have you been? I've missed you." and he laughs teasingly in reply, "Oh, I've been waiting for you." And I pout, "What were you doing?" and he kisses my forehead softly and whispers, "Loving you." And I melt into my pillow, deeper into sleep, deeper into dreams.

I must have seen his face a thousand times, but I don't know his name. I know how it feels when his hand caresses my cheek. I know the tilt of his head and the sorrow that goes deep in his eyes when he thinks I'm hurting. I know how he looks in blue jeans when he's walking out the door, and how his shoulders fill out the jacket of his favorite blue suit when he's holding a door for me. But I don't know his name.

Ladies, if you see him tonight, when you close your eyes and drift off to sleep, send him back to me. Because, make no mistake, he's mine.

No comments: