Saturday, October 20, 2007

In a Jiffy

I went to Jiffy Lube and got the oil changed in my car this morning. It was due a few months ago, but I just couldn't bring myself to get 'er done.

I absolutely dread going anywhere that involves men and cars. I don't like to go to any garage, service facility, or car dealer. Why? Ask almost any woman my age. It comes from years of condescending treatment from know-it-all males. From years of feeling like you're getting ripped off while being mocked.

I'll admit that not all the garages, service facilities, or car dealers have treated me badly. But too many have. At one time I actually thought about going to school to learn to be a car mechanic so I could fix my own car, but that seemed an extreme solution.

Which brings me back to the Jiffy Lube. I know they charge more than other places might, but to me they're worth it. They treat me with respect, they open doors, they say thank you, they smile. They recommend products they think I need, but there's no hard sell, and they check everything that I know should be checked but don't want to, as well as a lot of stuff I never heard of.

And they wash the windows.

I just wish I could bring them home to try their hand at housecleaning.

2 comments:

M. Steve Heartsill said...

Hey Martha,

Don't feel bad. I'm a man and most of these places talk down to me as well. I rarely have a clue what they are talking about, and I really had the hard sell practice that I see so often! When they try to sell me like that, I just try somewhere else to go!

Mo said...

I guess some stores think that if they treat customers like they're stupid, the customer will think the sales person/mechanic/clerk is smart and believe everything they say, but actually it just makes the customer think that they're jerks.