Saturday, April 28, 2007

My New Toy

I got a new computer today and I'm learning how to use it. You know everytime they make something in computerland "easier and faster", it's not.

Used to be, you went in to buy a computer and then would be a big placard next to it explaining all its virtues. Then you could decide which one you wanted. You take it home, you take it out of the box along with several books and manuals and help sheets. You follow the simple diagrams and turn it on. Then you got directions and tutorials on the screen. No more. Nope - I guess they expect everybody to know all about it by osmosis or something. I read the user guide manual but I still don't know what that big button next to the power switch is for or the optimization buttons or the on-off switch on the opposite side of the power switch. The power switch turns the computer on, so I don't know what the on switch turns on. But that's probably from the same company who thought it was sane to click on start to turn the computer off.

I was surprised to find my new computer has some Microsoft Office 2007 Applications. I think they are trial versions, but I don't know that for certain. It's got a thumbprint scanner, but no easy directions for setting it to recognize my print. I'll have to hunt for it when I have the time.

When I have time - aren't computers suppose to save you time?

HA! Sometimes I just crack myself up!

No comments: