Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Back again

I just got back from my second business trip of the month.

Remember when I said I always get the room farthest from the elevator? I stayed at the same 4 story motel this week as last. Last week my room number was 447 and this time it was 430. I was excited when I got my key. 430 sounded close to the elevator and since you have to walk outside to get to your room even on the 4th floor,even in snow and rain, it's important not to be too far away.

Anyway, 430 was not close to the elevator. Of course. It was as far away from the elevator as 447, but in the opposite direction.

I had lunch at a place called The Feedstore recommended by a doctor attending the same meeting. We walked past several restaurants to reach this place so I was expecting a really good sandwich.

I got chicken salad (their specialty) on light rye. It was more like pate than salad, the bread was just regular every day bread, and they didn't even stick a slice of lettuce on the bread. The sandwich, a pickle spear, and a glass of tea was about $8.00. All they sell are sandwiches and soup, you give your order at the counter, and pay on the way out. It took over 1/2 hour to be served. How long does it take to slap a scoop of chicken salad on a slice of bread, toss the second slice on top, stick it on a plate and serve it? Apparently about 30 minutes.

For dinner, I went to an Italian restaurant recommended by somebody else. I was expecting good things from this place because 1) it was Italian, 2) it was so crowded on a Wednesday evening in a deserted downtown that we had to wait over 30 minutes to be seated. For $18 + tip, I got iced tea (with fequent refills), almost warm bread, spagetti with bland tomato sauce and 2 small meatballs (light on the meat). I didn't even get freshly grated cheese on the spaghetti. WHAT! An "authentic" Italian restaurant with a jar of cheese sitting on the table. Tsk. Tsk.

For all I know, these were the best restaurants in town. It wasn't that big of a town. Both of the recommendees live more than 300 miles from the town, so what do they know?

No comments: