Sunday, May 10, 2009

Carrot Cake

This is a two-fer. Today you get two vignettes about my life and carrot cake.

# 1: A local deli advertised carrot cake on their menu last month. Three layer slices of spice cake filled with tiny pieces of carrots and plump raisins covered with cream cheese icing. It was a lovely site.

And everytime I went to that deli, I either forgot to buy the cake or decided to wait till next time. Now it's too late. They're on to key lime pie. Luckily, I'm also a fan of key lime pie.

There's a moral there somewhere. It's either Take your pleasures when you find them because they may not be there tomorrow or Don't worry about today's pleasures, another one will come along tomorrow.

#2: I decided to make my own carrot cake. Duncan Hines advertised a decadent carrot cake mix with a picture that rivaled the deli's cake. The picture on the box showed a rich spice cake just chock-full of pieces of sunshine orange carrots and dark plump raisins.

I made the cake yesterday. It doesn't look a thing like the picture on the box and it doesn't taste good. Yes, I'm calling you out, Chef Hines. The cake I baked with your "decadent" mix is pale, not one little piece of carrot in site, and the raisins are anemic looking. I could shrug off the disappointing looks if it didn't taste like it was chock-full of artifical flavorings.

There's a moral here too. A decadent pleasure is rarely as good as the picture.

Check out these Other Opinions. Their moral is A cake mix is never as good as home-made to give you that taste of home.

No comments: